Monday, March 05, 2007

talk is cheap

wednesday last week me and my ate ross had dinner at the kitchen. (pictures here.) it was only then that i realized that i missed talking with someone. you see after that happened and my mom moved to pampanga permanently, my word usage dropped to less than a hundred words per day. (and please don't ask me how many words i actually say on the weekends. :S)

the anti-social me rarely talk with my officemates. and on the rare occassion that i do it will be regarding work and it'll probably go something like this,

me: miss xxxx... bakit po ganito ang yadayada? di ba po dapat dayadaya?
miss xxxx: ahh, kasi ganito yan. (insert longish explanation here.)
me: ahh, okay.

that little dialogue has a range of 15 to 20 words. and here's a list of words and phrases that i may use during the day.

1. peewee - my dog's name; minimum: 1; maximum: 3
2. bayad po - when paying my fare; minimum: 0; maximum: 3
3. hello. good morning/afternoon - when answering the phone; minimum: 0; maximum: 3
4. thanks/salamat - after paying for something or after getting my change; minimum: 1 ; maximum: 3;
5. okay - affirmative response during any conversation; minimum: 2; maximum: 6
6. sige po - alternate affirmative response; minimum: 1; maximum 5
7. hinde po - negative response during any conversation; minimum: 0; maximum 3
6. isang belgian - when waffle buying; minimum: 3 times a week; maximum: 5 times a week
7. isang iced tea - when iced tea buying; minimum: once a week; maximum of 5 times a week

so on my talkative days my word usage would be close to a hundred. ehe.

it's not that i'm complaining that i don't get to talk as often as i used to. if i can get away with it, i'd probably do away with talking. more than talking what i really miss is the interaction that is tied with conversations, the exchange of ideas and the general feeling of connection. (don't bother convincing me to talk with my officemates.)

so when you see me, the anti-social caveman with semi-pressed clothes lurching around, go try and strike a conversation with me. at first the caveman in me might take a pouncing stance while raising his imaginary club ready to strike, but don't be surprised just keep on talking. soothe the beast with your words and be prepared for a lengthy conversation. just also be ready for a hefty dose of savory halitosis breath.

(oi! that last part was just a joke. thanks to ate for that last piece of idea. and ate don't go riding any boats/ships/airplanes without checking first if it'll pass the bermuda triangle ha. ;))

10 comments:

  1. Is that why you write on your blog everyday? ^_^ I'd say join a forum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes.^^6 blogging serves as an outlet for me. :P

    /me is too lazy to join a forum.

    hehe. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why oh why can I relate. It takes some time getting used to. Alternative suggestion is join a group that interests you: team sport or something that promotes social welfare or any group that's not confined to online interaction. Real interaction with people is still very different and most fulfilling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sino nga ba yung cartoon caveman na lumilipad?

    ReplyDelete
  5. ange: team sport bleh! :P

    cel: ungga bungga dude!

    jem: captain caaaaaaaaaveman!!! and son... :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. agree with ange, real interaction is fulfilling. but most people are... errrm... rather dull.

    so yeah celedor CAVEMEN REJOICE!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's this book club na may regular meet-ups sa Powerbooks (sponsor yata nila) and various other specialty bookstores. Membership is open to everyone.

    I've alwayas wanted to check them out kaya lang gusto ko may kasama. Wanna join me join them? Or you can also check em out yourself. Massage me for details. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. thea: solution: find people who aren't dull? hehe. although it'd be a tough search because dull-not people are very rare.

    smurfette: hmmm... reading... books. lazy me haven't done that in ages. :P agree, i can be your papa smurf. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wokey, "Papa smurf". ^_^

    I think they assign a reading material (for discussion) weeks prior to the meet-up. I'll let you know kung kelan yung next na schedule. (They're overhauling their website so I don't know any details yet).

    *Edit on previous post: Massage=Message! (Pero the former is pwede din, hihi.)

    ReplyDelete